Friday, February 10, 2006

TALKING OF LOVERS

BY BISWADEEP GHOSH

She is a friend. A very dear friend. She called me up the other day and said,"I am low."

"Why?" I asked.

"My hubby is going away on Valentine's Day. This is the first time we will not be together in years," she said.

Is my friend a young girl? If 35 is young, yes. But I can understand why she feels so. She and her hubby share a beautiful relationship, and it seems that they have been married only yesterday when you see how many beautiful moments they share, just talking and smiling away.

So, she was sad. What did she plan to do, I asked her. "What will I do?," she thought for a while and added, "I guess I will dedicate an hour to him and sulk." Then, she started giggling away like a teenager. She sounded happy at the thought which I found quite mad, and nice.

When I see such relationships, I learn just one thing. And that is what I told her. "Whenever you speak to him daily, it is a Valentine moment. That is because you guys are in love. Isn't it so much better than being in a sick relationship in which, even if you go out on Valentine's Day, you do so to mourn because the occasion exists and that formalities need to be fulfilled to carry on with life?"

That was a long unpunctuated one. Wordsworth might have said that it was a "spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings." Only, unlike the great Romantic, I did not wish to recollect them in tranquility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite cute.

Anonymous said...

Good blog. Are you a writer?