Wednesday, September 21, 2011

iPod of my mind : Musical unforgettables part one

It has been humming in my mind lately. The thought, that is. How did it come into being? It just happened. One day. Somebody who had seen me sing onstage when I was three years old said rather emotionally, “You have left singing anyway. Why have you stopped writing about it?”

That set me thinking. After sometime I thought, hey, why not? Let me try and do something different – to some extent at least – for me and my friends…and others too. Use the space on my dormant blog, one of my dormant blogs, to do a series on great songs of all time.

As the thought crystallised, I realised that this one was going to be a mighty tough task. But yes, I have promised to myself that a) I am going to give it a decent shot; b) abstain from technicalities; c) discuss songs that are as popular as nursery rhymes since what is popular can also be great; d) mention whichever good song comes to mind without hesitation and travel across time zones so that songs that happened before I was born, and after I did get equal recognition.

The series begins with Western popular music, and has no intention of alienating readers by being era-specific. So, read on. And try and check out tracks you haven’t heard so far. The possibility of that happening – at least in the initial stages – is going to be remote though.

What follows are the first ten songs. Please remember that they are just good, and better, songs. And, in no particular order in a series that won’t end, well, not very soon for sure.

Norwegian Wood, The Beatles: The first song by the legends I had heard when still very young. The melody reminded me of Raga Bageshwari, a very common raga in Hindustani Classical music. And much later, I was shocked to realise that the quartet had been actually inspired by the raga. So, I had been right!
Haunting track. The vocal harmony is pure bliss.

Lay Down Sally, Eric Clapton: Clapton is one of the greatest guitarists ever. But his guttural vocals get manifested most brilliantly in a track whose lyrics have, well, nothing to write home about. This one needs to be enjoyed purely because of the way he has sung.

Romeo and Juliet, Dire Straits: Hear these lines. “A love-struck Romeo sings the streets a serenade/ Laying everybody low with a love song that he made/ Finds a streetlight, steps out of the shade/ Says something like, ‘You and me babe, how about it?” That is Mark Knopfler at his best for you: moody, irreverent, enjoyable.

I’m Going Home, Ten Years After: The Woodstock version of the song is one of the most pulsating tracks I have ever heard. And what about Alvin Lee, who had the potential to be one of the best band leaders ever? Don’t know why his act collapsed later. But in this particular track, his vocals and guitaring sting.

Bachelor Boy, Cliff Richard: So do you think that this India-born singer, originally named Harry Webb, writes and performs tracks that are meant for people with less IQ? If so, please let me know if you have forgotten this one. I, for one, remember each and every line. And, I don’t pretend to resent the man.

Tears in Heaven, Eric Clapton: As a hardcore Clapton buff, I have always liked most of his earlier material. But this song, written as a tribute to his son who died in a tragic accident, has a lovably hummable quality.

Tambourine Man, Bob Dylan: When I heard this song as a ten-year-old, I had just one question in my mind. What the hell was Dylan talking about? Later, I figured out that ten-year-olds weren’t supposed to understand what he meant, if the kid wasn’t blessed with Einstein-like genius of course. Superbly written, in other words, this one lives with a music lover forever.

Black Magic Woman, Santana: Santana is among the greatest complete musicians I have ever heard. And, this one, with its remarkable guitaring and fantastic percussion will be up there with the best till the end of time.

Another Brick in the Wall, Pink Floyd: Known for their dazzling showmanship and musical excellence, this track with its anti-establishment flavour and compositional dynamics is a classic. And, not just for Floyd fans.

Alive, Pearl Jam: When I heard the Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder do a track with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, I didn’t know where to run. The track was ‘that’ bad! But Alive, with a great solo by the band’s brilliant guitarist Mike McCready, is a truly special song. And, just think of this. This one was actually the first single that Pearl Jam ever released.

So you have heard all of them? You must have. Now, here is the news. Once more. The story has just begun.

1 comment:

SUBHAJIT said...

Hi Biswadeep,
I am glad you've commenced the journey and taken us on board. I was excited to know as i started to read the first piece, if you'd choose MK. Indeed you have and perhaps one of his best. I was exposed to Western music when i was in Patna. First i heard my Dad, a professional guitarist, play some Ventures tunes, which were themselves mostly guitar versions of popular western songs. Gradually, i listened to more and more numbers - from ABBA to Cliff to Uriah Heap..... the list just started to grow by leaps and bounds. On the first 10 that you've mentioned, i am sure S & G missed by a whisker!
Waiting for more from you,
Subhajit Guha