Monday, September 26, 2011

iPod of my mind: Musical unforgettables part five

Someone was chatting with me the other day. “Can you tell me about your top ten favourites of all time?,” he said. I thought for a while and answered, “Impossible. Too much has been happening for too long.”

That is the thing about music. So much of it is produced, and so many good songs, that we are faced with the problem of plenty. But think of it. Isn’t that fascinating? After all, who would have liked it if music had produced a few songs and become a dinosaur? Nobody, I am sure.

Cut to ten cuts. Let’s hear them and have fun.

Hello, Lionel Richie: Richie has a marvellous voice. And personally, I have a soft corner for his slow numbers because that is when he is at his best. Hello is his best track. And just in case you haven’t seen the video, find a way to do so.

Ballerina girl, Richie: Another Richie track. Another slow one. And almost equally good. Don’t miss this one.

Time, Pink Floyd: As a kid, I was intrigued by the way the song began. With the tick tick sound, symbolising the movement of time. As I grew up, the song grew in me. No matter how many classics hit the music scene later, I cannot let go of this one. Too precious.

Words, Bee Gees: Vocal harmony is the USP of Bee Gees. And, Words brings out that quality best. Beautifully written and sung, this one will stand the test of time.

Top of the world, The Carpenters: If you like lilting tracks, you must be in love with this act. What about me? Well, I don’t like everything they have done. But I would need to lie to say that I don’t adore this one. Uncomplicated, and thoroughly lovable.

Crocodile walk, John Mayall: If we start making a list of musicians whom the blues musician John Mayall has mentored one way or the other, the list will be very long indeed. Crocodile walk wasn’t a major commercial success by any yardstick of judgment. But it shows the sort of musicianship that Mayall fans expect from the man. Superb stuff.

Beat it, Michael Jackson: What a track, and what a performance. One of the biggest hits of Jackson, this one is the king of all songs for many Jackson fans. Check out the video to see the sort of magic the man could whip up with consummate effortlessness.

Oh, pretty woman, Roy Orbison: Roy Orbison was quite a performer, and this song which inspired the title of a Richard Gere-Julia Roberts starrer is his most popular. You have heard it, right?

To all the girls I have loved before, Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias: Hey all, you will love this. Subtle competitiveness between singers of two diverse styles makes it delightful. My vote for the better vocalist goes to Nelson. But I am biased towards the guy. So don’t trust me, but hear it anyway. (This is the cover version of an Albert Hammond song. But that is inconsequential).

Take on me, A-ha: This Norwegian band was a huge success. This track is among their best. Not much ambition here, only the desire to produce a light-hearted enjoyable track. The honesty of intention works.

So then. Hope you liked this one. Good to hear from many of you. And we shall hear some more very soon.

No comments: